Move Aotearoa is a board game encouraging individuals to increase physical activity with workmates, whanau/family and friends.
Teams are challenged to be the first to reach Cape Reinga by achieving 10,000 steps a day per person over 8 weeks. Bonuses and challenges are experienced on the way as the team passes 56 destinations.
- Organisations appoint a Move Aotearoa coordinator.
- Participants get together a team of one to four people and nominate a team leader.
- A Move Aotearoa team board is provided for teams to compete on (it is suggested this is placed in a communal area).
- Each team is allocated a playing piece for the team board.
- The first team to reach Cape Reinga wins Move Aotearoa.
All activities count towards total steps e.g. gardening, swimming, cycling, walking around work/home, taking the stairs.
If participants have a pedometer the steps will automatically be counted. In situations where a pedometer can't be used such as swimming or cycling, or if participants don't have a pedometer, the following calculations can be used:
1 minute moderate activity = 100 steps
(causes a slight but noticeable increase in breathing and heart rate e.g. brisk walking)
30 minutes of moderate walking = 3000 steps
1 minutes vigorous activity = 200 steps
(makes you ‘huff and puff' e.g. running)
25 minutes of vigorous running = 5000 steps
You can choose if all participants have a pedometer or not. It needs to be one or the other to keep the challenge fair.
It is recommended that participants are provided with pedometers if possible. They are useful to help track activity and provide a great incentive to get involved.